Greenspace: Conservation Volunteering Day at Sims Hill
Do you love spending time outdoors in nature? Are you interested in wildlife and forestry conservation? If yes, then this is for you, even if you have never done anything related to conservation before! This session is open to all UWE and University of Bristol students, all abilities are welcome. The day will be run by UWE Student Project Leaders, it's a great chance to meet other like-minded students, have a positive impact on a local woodland and learn some new skills. A free veggie / vegan meal deal will also be provided on the day. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
How to sign up:
Please complete this form by Friday 24 March at 13:00.
Where to meet:
We’ll meet at 10:00 outside The Students’ Union shop (U Block, Frenchay Campus), the google map pin is here.
And then we'll walk over to Sims Hill together, which is about a 20-minute walk away.
What to expect on the day:
- An introduction to the area.
- Helping out with routine maintenance and conservation of the woodland (no experience is necessary though and all levels and abilities are welcome).
- Two of our lovely Student Project Leaders will be running the session.
- You’ll receive tools training to help with tasks such as coppicing, bramble bashing, pruning, resurfacing of pathways and other upkeep. In this session we will be focusing on tasks such as cutting back brambles, and removing tree guards and canes.
- Make sure you wear practical clothes and footwear, and check the weather beforehand so you can dress accordingly and be as comfortable as possible.
- Free veggie / vegan meal deal!
There is no pressure to participate in all the activities if you attend. We are also open to know what other activities we could include in future work days, so if you have any ideas or general feedback about the sessions then let us know by emailing email@example.com.
Previously, UWE student volunteers won a prestigious South Gloucestershire Council award for their volunteering at Splatts Abbey Wood: https://www.thestudentsunion.co.uk/news/article/15570/Greenspace-project-wins-award-for-outstanding-contribution-to-the-community/